Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sailor gets a package...

Taking care of people's pets is not the only thing I do while they are out of town.  I also will pick up newspapers, mail, water plants, straighten up the house; lots of little things to help the owners out and ease their minds.

As I was going to get Sailor for our walk, I noticed a package by Fred's front gate.  I had no idea if it was dropped off by UPS, FedEx or some lesser known delivery service, but I picked up the package, took it into the house and placed it on the counter with the mail.

That evening I put Sailor in for the night.  Checked the house, made sure Sailor had water and went home.

Next morning, I go back to Fred's house to feed Sailor and let him out for the day.

As I enter the house, I see the opened package on the floor.  aaaarrrrggghhh....  what the heck?  I realize right away that Sailor has gotten into the package; more than that, Sailor has opened the package.  I immediately feel responsible for not taking better care of the package, and I wonder what  was in that package to make Sailor want it so badly.
I let Sailor out while I take a better look around the house.  Good news is that the rest of the house is nice and clean.  Bad news is that bones (BIG bones) are scattered all over Fred's living room.  I stand there for a couple of minutes just taking it all in...

I am confused.  No dry ice.  No styrofoam.  No individual wrapping.  but BIG bones all over the living room.  Seriously ... what was in that package?  A side of beef?  But, who sends meat in a package?  Who sends meat in a package without individually wrapping the different meat sections?  Who sends meat in a package without dry ice or some other kind of packaging to keep the meat fresh?  And ... did Sailor eat ALL the meat?  I see a few remnants of meat, but mainly all I see is bones.  BIG bones.

I clean up the mess; I put the bones into ziplock bags and place them in the refrigerator.  I clean up the few pieces of meat that have stuck to the tile and rug.  I pick up the 'trash' that was once the package.
I leave Fred a note telling him how sorry I am about Sailor's party, but there was NO WAY that I could ever know what was in that package.  I had no idea that Sailor would attack the package that way.


In the afternoon Fred calls; he's due home later that day.

"Hey Fred.  Are you home yet?"

"No.  I'm still a couple of hours away."

"Oh.  OK.  Are you expecting a package?"

"Yeah.  My brother is sending me some elk bones for Sailor."

"Ahhhhhhhhh.....OK, now things are making sense."

"What?"

"Well, Sailor opened the package.  I had it on the counter, and he helped himself."

"Well, it was for him..... that boy."

I love laughing with Fred over Sailor's antics, and I love that Fred has a sense of humor.  Some people would not find this so funny........

No comments:

Post a Comment