Monday, August 23, 2021

Day 3: on the road again

 Today was a 'free' day. Meaning we didn't have a game.  Take our time to get to the next town.

We began the day with Big Bone Lick State Park.  Apparently there's saline water that comes up from what was once hot springs.  The animals come to these waters to lick the salt.  Apparently this has been going on for eons and eons.  They have mammoth and mastodon fossils amongst other things.  I read lots of plaques and crap; it's just been a long day so I don't quite remember it all.  But it was interesting, and it was informative.  (If you can remember.)

The best part was after a couple days of driving, we walked.  And walked.  And walked.  It felt so good to get out and move. We saw some bison and other fun things. 









The only thing I got out of this picture is that beer is not to be drunk out of a martini glass. Ever. 


At least that's what I think they're trying to say. 

We took the trail that would lead us to THE salt lick.  And we came across this:


And now I am thinking this is much, much smaller than I had built it up in my head.  It is now right up there with The Alamo and the Mona Lisa, because I want to know where the BIG salt lick is....

Eventually we found this:



Ok...that's better.  Definitely saltier.

It is a nice park. Beautifully well kept and manicured.  Even if they are a little weird about their speed limits.


Not real sure about that extra one mph, but I'm guessing there is a perfectly good reason somewhere.



Before leaving Cincinnati, Mark wanted to try some Cincinnati chili (spaghetti) This was an all new ballgame (see what I did there?) for us...  we REALLY REALLY liked it.  A lot. 



We even had to finish it off with some funnel fries (think funnel cake)


The big thing around Cincinnati is whether you are a "Goldstar" or a "Skyline".  (The two big chains for where one must get their Cincinnati chili)  We even overheard a group of teenagers talking.  One girl asked another, "So was your family a goldstar or a skyline?" Apparently this IS  a big deal.  Maybe even bigger than Longhorns vs Aggies.  

But the highlight of my day was this:


Y'all this is absolutely one of THE MOST wonderful women God put on this planet.  I have known her for 12+ years over the internet but had never met her in person ...until today.  

This is a woman who knows how much I love autumn, so she not only has sent me fall leaves in a box, she sent me an autographed print of a gorgeous autumn forest. 

This is a woman who sends me apple butter, jam, fudge and fruitcake.

And has knitted me not one, but TWO stunning sweaters and crocheted me a HUGE blanket.

And remember, up until today, we had never met in person.  And yet she has done all this for me.

Not only that, when my daughter lost her grandparents this amazing woman sent my daughter flowers.

When she heard Eden was learning to sew, she sent Eden a box of material.

I wish I could say it's because I am so special I got all these gifts, but it is not.  This tireless, giving woman does these sorts of things every day for so many people in her life.  She honestly lives to make others happy.  God has given her gifts and talents and she uses those gifts and talents to enrich the lives of those around her. She is absolutely one of a kind, and I am blessed to be  lifetime member of the FOJ club.  (Friends of Jan)

 I only wish I could give her back a bit as much as she gives me.  I am severely lacking in that department, but seriously it is almost impossible to keep up with this woman. 

You know how every once in a while I talk about the importance of having that small group of women you can vent to, share secrets with, lean on, those women who are always in your corner? Jan is one of the members of my small group.  We have shared heartbreaks, milestones and celebrations and I am truly a richer person for having God put her into my life.

AND TODAY I GOT TO HUG her!! Oh what a joy! Oh what a gift!

Oh, and of course, knowing we were on the road, she brought us bread fresh out of her oven along with apple butter and cranberry orange jam.



Tonight's beer came from a convenience store.  And I was thinking my McCoy's people would love the ingenuity of the maintenance department from last night's hotel room.



Good night and God bless.....

4 comments:

  1. Love your travel Log. My sis and hubby took an R.V. caravan trip on the Lewis and Clark trail in 2018. Wondering if they visited that same park. What an incredible blessing to finally meet Jan. Life is full of wonderful surprises. ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having fun just trucking along seeing what God has in store for us next. ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  2. You are such a good writer! You always find interesting things to photograph (like a 19mph speed limit—how peculiar!). But I especially loved reading about your Cincinnati chili experience since I lived in Cincy for 12 years and LOVE that kind of Chili (I’m a Skyline person๐Ÿ˜Š). Also, I think Jan might be an angel! Did you pinch her to see if she was REAL?!?!๐Ÿ˜ฎ. Thanks for sharing!๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't pinch Jan. I should have!
      Thank you for the compliments.
      We can't compare, because we only tried one.... but it was Skyline. ๐Ÿ™‚

      Delete