Like pretty much everyone else in the world, we had a busy December.
We knew Christmas was coming; we aren't oblivious, but we had other things to do and we had time. Right?
Lisa turned 60 this year, and the ONLY thing she wanted for that milestone was family pictures. We were able to get the entire family together on my birthday, and we got some absolutely fabulous family photos which were turned into Christmas cards. These we managed to order and send out piecemeal throughout the early part of the month. Woo hoo!
Early in the month Mark did get the outside lights hung. The bare minimum. Around the front porch and carport complete with snowflakes. (Lisa loves the snowflakes.) Then a week or so later he got his homemade Nativity out on the lawn... complete with spotlight. In the past Mark has done more. In the future Mark may do more. But this Christmas, that's all the decorations the outside was given. *I don't have photos*
Inside. A couple years ago the lights went out on our old tree. The last few Christmases we have still used the tree by simply wrapping strings of lights. This year we decided enough was enough and we broke down and decided to get a new tree. Of course we decided this fairly early in December, but fairly late according to the public's tree buying standards. The trees were picked over in the stores, so we ordered online. Which, of course, took a bit of time ... it being December and the busiest time for tree companies and delivery companies. But... eventually ...our tree did arrive. And it is beautiful. And by the time it arrived and was set up, like everyone else in the world, we were busy. We decided we would decorate it later. And then later. And later. Our tree nor our home ever got any more decorations. Just a simple tree with beautiful lights. But sometimes a simple tree with beautiful lights is enough. Lights make us happy.
Dolce got to sleep under it every night which I am sure made her happy.
We had not done the lights on the Riverwalk in San Antonio in quite a number of years, so we decided that would be fun. We reached out to Lisa's cousin, Kris, who lives in San Antonio. We were able to meet up with Kris and a friend for a beautiful Christmas concert at an Episcopal church one Sunday afternoon. We thoroughly enjoyed the concert, and the church was beautiful. Kris' friend had to get to work, but the rest of us had a nice dinner on the Riverwalk and then took the boat tour under all the lights. *I don't have photos*
As the week of Christmas approached, the busiest time of the year for a liquor store, we decided maybe it was time to wrap presents and start making all those fun Christmas treats. So, in between working a bit longer and definitely busier days, we came home in the evenings and took turns in the kitchen. We even managed to get all the presents wrapped. No bows or fancy accouterments, but hey, by now you all know we are fairly simple low-key people and the presents were wrapped. And they were even wrapped with Christmas paper.
Mark made the first round of cookies: Peppermint, cinnamon bars and lemon pecan.
Jenni takes her girls to "The Nutcracker" at the Wortham Theatre in Houston every year, and, thankfully, she invites me too. This year we went the week of Christmas, because that week is not already busy enough. Usually we go earlier in the month, but this worked out nicely.. it was a clear, cold day so it even felt like Christmas - not something we always get here in Texas- but it was before the frigid, freezing temperatures hit. This is one of my favorite traditions. We make a day out of it going to the matinee and then going out to dinner at a really nice restaurant. This year we went to Laurenzo's on Washington Ave. If you have not been I highly recommend it. A smaller restaurant with a warm ambiance and delicious food. One of Dustin's favorites, and Dustin is picky when picking out restaurants. As we eat, we discuss our favorite parts of the ballet. And our least favorites, but we all agree that even our "least favorites" are still pretty darn amazing and spectacular. Those women spend almost the entire ballet on their toes and I have no idea how the men get their leaps so high. Oh, and the music. The music of Tchaikovsky. Brilliant.
And then it was Christmas. 🎄❤🎄
Christmas Eve is generally the busiest day of the year for the liquor store. This year was a bit "off". Not sure if it was because Christmas fell on a Sunday or if it was because of the freezing temperatures leading up to the holiday, but this year Christmas Eve was not as bustling as in years past. Overall the holiday sales were comparable, but people seemed to stock up earlier. That being said, it was a busy day, just not crazy and chaotic. We were able to sneak out for a bit and attend church Christmas Eve. As soon as the service was over, we rushed back to the store, so the others could get out and enjoy their Christmas Eve. My manager from McCoy's stopped by to grab some beers and realizing how busy and tired we were and also realizing we probably didn't get a "proper" supper, offered to make us a 'to-go' bowl. After closing down the store at 9pm, we stopped by Scott and Susan's for a nice visit and left with a container full of chicken and dumplings. As is often the case, it really is small, thoughtful gestures that mean so much and touch our hearts.
Christmas Morning!! 🎄 ❤🎄
Up and off to church. I love the juxtaposition of Christmas Eve church and Christmas Morning church. The same beautiful story of our Lord and Savior humbling himself to a lowly manger FOR US, but two very different services. I love them both.
Then off to Marshall and Audrey's. Harrison and Rosey were precious. Audrey and Harrison were still in their jammies. Toys were strewn all over the living room. Trash bags against the wall filled with torn wrappings. The entire house said "Christmas!", and was full of love and laughs.
We visited a while as the kids rushed around showing us their wares and being exactly as children should be on Christmas Day. Happy, excited, full of energy and filled with love.
*I didn't get any photos, but I did snag some from Audrey*
Off to Jenni and Dustin's. (Notice my kids do not spend Christmas together. They DO get together through the holidays, just not Christmas day. They each wish to spend Christmas day in their own homes letting their kids run around and play with all their new toys and gizmos and gadgets while preparing their own favorite meals. I wonder if a bit of that is on me and their dad, because that is how we always spent Christmas as they were growing up.)
The saddest part of the entire day happened before we arrived. As kids do, Eden, Ila and James had a pact. They all sleep together Christmas Eve and whoever woke up first would wake the others. Eden waking up first, woke Ila and James. James in the dark house and still half asleep could not see any of his presents. He ran in to wake Jenni and Dustin saying he must be on the "naughty" list. Poor baby. He was quite relieved when Jenni took him back into the living room and showed him his stash.
Jenni's house looked like Christmas too! Toys and remnants of wrappings everywhere. Organized chaos as each kid had claimed their own portion of the room.
We put together Legos. We watched Ila do back handsprings on the trampoline, and then she discovered she didn't need her hands at all. She had mastered the back flip. Onto the forward flip. Grandpa Mark stayed outside with her for quite a while observing all this and they became besties. When it was time to eat, Ila didn't care where she sat as long as it was by Grandpa Mark because they had to talk strategy.
We drank Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve and Basil Hayden. Working at the liquor store it's nice to taste and know all the differences for when people ask. Unfortunately now I can't remember all those differences. (OK, I am joking. Kind of.)
Time to eat. Thank you, Dustin!
If you remember I had made an apple pie. Dustin decided to add bourbon to it and torch it. I must say, definitely was a great idea. *I don't have a photo, but Jenni took a video*
I didn't take pictures of the day, but I snagged a few from Jenni:
If you noticed my mom was nowhere to be seen. Because of the freezing temperatures mid-week and then because of issues with her blood pressure later in the week, she didn't feel comfortable traveling. We would have gone and picked her up, but she wanted to stay in her own home. I absolutely understand. I told her I was sorry she had to be alone on Christmas, and she replied, "I'm not alone. Jesus is here."
She told me to go, have fun and take lots of pictures. I did the first two. But having so much fun, I took almost no pictures.
Every year I ask Jenni to play "Do You Hear What I Hear". Today it dawned on me that I completely forgot to make that request. I was disappointed in myself. I did not go without piano music however. Ila played "Ode to Joy" and "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" for me. Ah, the next generation.
Ok, I know it's long. It's for your enjoyment, but also for my memories. I'm getting older now and as my memory fades, I will need all this to remember the magic of Christmas 2022.
I hope you all felt the magic of Jesus as we celebrated his coming to us for us!!


















No comments:
Post a Comment