Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sam has been moved to ICU...

On Tuesday Sam's doctor decided to give him a steroid to help with his breathing and his recovery.  Sadly, the medication had a negative effect for Sam.  Sam had a bad reaction to the steroid, and he endured a rough night Tuesday night.

Everyone was hoping that Wednesday would be better, but sadly, it was not.

Late in the afternoon on Wednesday, Sam called me and told me that I better come up to the hospital.  I got there just as Sam was being prepared to be moved to ICU.  I gathered up his personal belongings to keep them safe while he was moved.

As the nurses were working on Sam's IV and his oxygen tank, Sam still retained his sense of humor.  First he said to me, "As the Chinaman says, 'Someting wong.'"   I laughed.  Oh Sam......!! ha!  Then his nurse told him that she had been talking with Kimber; Kimber would be Sam's new nurse down in ICU.  Sam's first question was, "Is she single?"  The nurse and I both laughed.  I was happy to see that even though he was not feeling so great, even though he was doing poorly, he was able to keep his sense of humor about him.

I followed Sam down to ICU, but I never saw him again once he got there.  I eventually left, but his daughter came later for a visit.  I talked with her on the phone, and I could hear Sam in the background.  He wanted to make sure I did have his cell phone.  (I did.)

Visiting hours begin at 9:00 am, so that is where I will soon be heading........

1 comment:

  1. I hope you find him rested and recuperating! Prayers out to you, him and his family.

    ReplyDelete