Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sam has pneumonia....

Last Thursday I was so happy.  Sam came home from rehab.
He looked good.  He had energy.  He seemed stronger than I've seen him in a very long time.
Friday morning, the home health care nurse came to evaluate him.  All of his vitals were great.  He was feeling great.  Then she listened to his lungs.  She said everything was perfect, except that he had a little bit of wheezing in his lungs.
I didn't love hearing that, but I didn't realize how much I needed to worry.
Saturday morning, when I showed up at his apartment, Sam was still in bed.  That has never happened.  I was a bit worried now.  I checked on him, he was sleeping, so I let him sleep.  I was cautious.  I didn't know how long I should allow him to sleep, but I also didn't know how his night had gone.  Had he had a bad night, and just finally got to sleep, he didn't need me to come and wake him up.  I closed his bedroom door, and let him sleep while I straightened up his apartment.
I checked in on him again.  Still asleep.  hmmmm.
Played on the computer, all the while though, I was worried.
Checked on him again.  Still asleep.  Getting more worried.
Finally around 9:15am, Sam stirred.
Relief.
But Sam was not feeling good.  He did not look good. He thought, at that time, that he was trying to catch a cold.  I talked to his daughter, and she was quite concerned.  She wasn't sure if it was a cold or allergies.  Either way, she was worried.
I turned on his air purifier and put him on his oxygen.  He just wanted to sleep.  So he went back to bed.
I left for a bit.
When I came back later with lunch, he was up and out of bed.  Relief.
I stayed for a while, but left him again knowing his daughter would be checking in on him later.
Sunday I had the day off as his daughter was going to spend time with him.  I went about my day.
Sunday night I got a call from his daughter.  Sam was not doing good at all, and she was going to take him to the ER.  She'd let me know.....
Sam was admitted to the hospital.  He has pneumonia.
Pneumonia and 83 years do not make a good combination.

Monday morning, I went in to check on Sam.  He was so pitiful.  So fragile.  So weak.
He laid in his bed and slept fitfully the entire time I was there.  He tried to speak a few times, but it took so much effort.  His breathing was labored.  I told him to just sleep.  He got a breathing treatment while I was there, which was bittersweet for me.  It brought back all those memories of my father getting his breathing treatments while in the hospital before his death.  However, after his breathing treatment, Sam sounded so much better, even to my untrained ears.

I went back today, and Sam was improved.  Not much.  But again, even to my untrained ears, I could tell his breathing sounded so much better.  Less of an effort.  Less wheezing.  He still has so little energy, and, pretty much, the only thing he does is sleep ... and sadly, his sleep is not peaceful, but he does seem better today than yesterday.

We'll see how he is tomorrow.............

No comments:

Post a Comment