Mark came home last night with every intention of going out to the barn and getting a few things done, but then I was going through my instagram and was reminded by a photo posted by Audrey that it was "50 Cent Corn Dog Day" at Sonic. Mark wanted his corn dogs, so off we went.
We had been wanting to get the goldfish for his aquaponics project for a while as well, and we kept forgetting, so we decided while we were out, we'd run to Wal-Mart and pick up the fish too. No problem.
(On a side note, I can now say I have tried (we have tried) NUTELLA. I have managed to make it 51 years without ever trying nutella, but many, many people keep telling me I just HAD to try it. Yesterday was the day. And why was it the day? Because my cousin, David, told me it would be. Here's his exact quote: "What?! That day is today, sister." And so it was. Who knew David held such power? As we were standing at the "20 and under" checkout counter at our local Wal-Mart waiting to purchase our three little goldfish, I saw the nutella snack pack. I grabbed it. Mark looked at me, and I told him it was time. I didn't even wait to get to the car. I began opening the snack as we were walking. I grab one of the little cookie strips, smother it in nutella and stick it in Mark's mouth. Then I fix one for myself.)
We get home, and I'm looking at the fish. I'm a little worried that they're sucking all the air out of the bag that they are traveling home in. Mark opens the bag and takes them out to the aquaponics pond. He submerged the bag, but clipped it to the side of the pond, because he had heard that you didn't want to just 'shock' the fish, but let them slowly acclimate to the differing water. OK. While waiting, he went to edge the front yard, because he had just had his edger fixed, and I went to water the garden. I finish watering, and he tries to finish edging, but he is not happy. He can GET the edger running, but he can't KEEP the edger running. (Good thing we just had it fixed!) OK, on to something else. Let's go check on the fish. We go out, and he unclips the bag, turns it upside down to dump the fish into the tank .... first fish: swim, swim .... second fish: swim, swim .... third fish: thunk.
Me: Well, that's not good.
Mark: crap.
Me: Is he dead?
Mark: looks like it.
crap.
We decide to go back to Wal-Mart. I mean, we'd had this fish less than an hour, and he was dead.
Me: I've never returned a dead fish to Wal-Mart
Mark: Me either.
No problem. Customer service told us to go pick out another fish. We did. Back home. It's now getting dark, so forget the acclimating period, Mark just dumps the fish. He swims off.....
Mark leaves to go talk to the guy who had fixed the edger.
I'm home alone. I had just grabbed a beer, sat down, put it on the table next to me and began playing on my laptop.
The electricity went off, and then came right back on.
Went off again.
I kept playing on the laptop for a minute when I noticed (duh!) I had no wifi.
Electricity is not coming back on. It's dark. Pitch black dark.
Fine. OK. So I go to put the laptop down, and I knock over my full beer. In the dark.
I grab my phone to try and use that little bit of light to grab the beer bottle and set it upright, but of course (OF COURSE!) my crappy phone decides it is not going to cooperate. It's dead.
I get up in the blackness and begin talking to the doggies. I head toward the kitchen to get a flashlight, and I'm telling the doggies to stay out of my way, because I can't see them.
I get a flashlight and some towels, and I begin cleaning up the stupid spilled beer in the dark while holding the flashlight.
Mark comes home and amazingly .... I AM NOT HAPPY.
Might as well go to bed.
Good night.
And somewhere just before midnight I'm woken up, because the electricity does come back on reminding me which lights had been on prior to the black out......... great. thanks.
No comments:
Post a Comment