Oh yeah, I remember now, days 7 and 8.
Day 7:
I have been fortunate to travel to and through all 50 states. I have often said the two states I believe to be underrated are Utah and Wisconsin. Northern Illinois would fall in that same category. Let's face it, there are some states we hear about over and over; some for the good and some for the bad. And then there are those states just quietly minding their own business. And yet they are absolutely stunningly beautiful when you pass through them.
Today we drove from Milwaukee back into Illinois. The drive in both states was small towns and farmland; it was peaceful and serene. And gorgeous. The green rolling country side was a much needed break from all the Cracker Barrels and Truck Stops of the Interstates.
Today was another "free" day, but also a day where we did not need to do much driving. This is the first time in the entire ten days that we are somewhat settled for a day or two.
So ... it worked out perfectly that I could visit my cousin Janelle and her husband Randy. They live in the cutest little house with the cutest little doggie in the cutest little town outside of Chicago. (They live outside Chicago like we live outside Houston; close enough to travel into the city, but far enough to be away from all the people and traffic and chaos.)
I don't have too many photos from the day or too much to report, because it was simply a fun family day of visiting, talking and catching up. We actually LIVED in the moment and didn't have our phones snapping pictures; for the most part.
Janelle and Randy own a meat market up here in their town. Meat has been a part of the family for generations. Randy's grandfather was a butcher, as was Randy's father.
The Elburn Meat Market has been around since 1904, Randy's father bought the business in 1954, but it was Randy's vision that made the market what it is today.
The legal name for the business is some incorporated something or other using "Elburn Meat Market", but everyone in town simply knows it as "Ream's" after the family who owns it.
And y'all it is amazing. I wish I had taken pictures inside the store; I was having too much fun just BEING in the store. They have the meat counter in the back of the store with all your different cuts of meat; up front is the deli with your homemade lunch meats, brats, jerky and bier stix. (Randy's tried and true recipes!) They sell wines, beer and select bourbon. And if that isn't enough, they have pre-packaged entrées and meals for easy serving. Among miscellaneous other things.
Oh... and jerky dip and bacon jam.
For you bacon lovers I did snap this photo as we were taking a "behind the scenes" tour.
When the meat market needed expansion requiring a new building, Janelle and Randy still had their old building. The building sat vacant for a couple years until they came up with an idea.
A fun little event spot for the town. They began renovations and thus "The Old Elburn Hall" was born. A cozy little bar with snacks and live music. (Three guesses on where the snacks come from.)
**Janelle and Randy have three children. Their daughter, Jackie, lives in Chicago with her husband and puppy. Their two sons still live in the Elburn area and are instrumental in running both the meat market and the hall.**
Janelle and Randy are both musical as are all three of their children. Randy and his sons often play at the hall. Sadly, they were not playing tonight, but that actually worked out well, because we were able to visit and Stew was able to make me THE BEST old fashioned.
We did get to hear a fun saxophone quartet. Too bad for y'all that blogger says my videos are too large to upload, because I videoed both "Flight of the Bumblebee" and "Bohemian Rhapsody." Too much fun!
It was such a perfect day spent with Janelle and Randy.
Oh. I almost forgot the food. Again, sorry, no photo this time, but when you eat supper at the home of a butcher you get an extremely excellent cut of meat that is grilled to perfection. Randy was in charge of the steaks; Janelle made sure we had some Illinois sweet corn. (Oh my gosh, it was all SO GOOD!)
I did grab a photo of the homemade chips that we had later while enjoying the live music.
Homemade.
So addicting.
Janelle and Randy are such phenomenal hosts. Opening their home and their meat market to us. Making sure we were well fed and comfortable. Taking time out of their lives visiting with us. (Mark and I are both yackers!) It was such a fun time and a much needed relaxing day.
Onward we go....












Glad you had such a fun break catching up with relatives.
ReplyDelete