All of our animals are getting older.
We know this.
We've discussed it.
Dolce is our oldest. Her little muzzle is gray. She doesn't always come when we call. Her hearing is not what it used to be. She has slowed down. Plays less; sleeps more.
But, being a small breed, she should have a few years left.
Georgia is the one we tend to worry the most about. Her muzzle is gray. She's a lab. Labs, on average, don't have long life spans. She has trouble getting around at times, and we give her medicine for her joints. We know she is aging.
We have cats that are aging as well. But cats tend to have long life spans, so again, we don't overly worry about them.
And then there was Cecelia.
We didn't worry about her.
We joked about her.
Her muzzle wasn't graying. She wasn't slowing down. She was as chipper and spry as always.
Our only worry with her was what would she do when Georgia was gone.
And then yesterday happened.
I still don't know.
At 4:00pm she was herself. There was no indication that anything was wrong. Nothing unusual or out of the ordinary. Nothing.
By 5:30pm she was dazed and confused. Wobbly on her legs.
By 8:30pm she was gone.
As I said, the vet said maybe a seizure. But she was supposed to come out of a seizure.
I was expecting her to wake up, shake her head and look at me like, "what the crap just happened??"
She didn't.
I sat out there petting her and talking to her, and she just didn't wake up.
At least, to our knowledge, she didn't suffer.
We will never know what happened in the hour and a half we were not at home, but even when she was dazed, she didn't appear to be in pain. As I pet her, she didn't appear to be in pain. We have that.
So, of course, we are having a storm. I was awoken by the thunder and lightening, and my first thought was, "You don't have to be scared anymore, little one. You don't ever have to be scared again."
Georgia woke up. She went crazy. She was nervously walking around the bed. Looking. Sniffing. She indicated going outside. I told her it was raining. She wanted out. She was frantic. She ran out into the storm. Walking around. Looking. Sniffing.
Now I am no dog whisperer, but Mark and I are convinced she was looking for Cecelia. Cecelia always ran to Georgia for comfort during our storms.
But not this time.
And Georgia didn't understand.
As I was writing this, the part where I told Georgia it was raining, reminded me of something from the other night.
I heard Mark talking from the other room, but couldn't make out what he was saying. So I asked. His reply: "Oh, nothing. I was just talking to the dogs!"
You know, you wake up in the morning wondering what the day will bring.... but we just never saw this one coming.
She was gonna drive us crazy and out live us all......

No comments:
Post a Comment