Welcome to my world...!!

thank you for allowing me to share a part of my life, my world, with you.

Friday, December 18, 2020

Christmas

 If you are not enjoying this Advent and Christmas season, you're doing it wrong.


Why I even thought this...


I ran into one guy buying a piece of PVC pipe.  I cannot exactly remember why, knowing me I probably asked, but he told me, quite grumpily, that he was going to use it to put up a Nativity.  I told him that was nice, and he grimaced.  He went on, complaining, how he had to do it for his wife.  He added mockingly, "gotta keep her happy."  Although he didn't seem to be at all happy about keeping her happy.  With a scowl he let me know he had two houses, and it wasn't enough to decorate one.  Oh no!!  They had to decorate both.  Then he stormed off to get his decorating done.

I stood there for a moment. Stunned. The only thing that even popped into my brain and then out of my mouth was, "Well, I guess that makes Jesus happy."  

Then a couple days ago, talking to another guy.  I asked if he was ready for Christmas.  He scowled.  I asked if he had kids.  He said he did.  I asked their ages. "All the way from 15-3," was his reply.  "Then Christmas should be fun this year!", I said.  I would have thought so anyway... but he went on about the expense and the work and the bother and buying gifts for people who are ungrateful and kids who will break them. 

Again, I stood stunned.

I do not care if you go all out, decorating every single house, boat or trailer you own... if that is truly what you want to do.  Jump on it.  But if you are doing it out of obligation or because it is expected, and you are miserable all the while, somewhere you lost your Christmas spirit.  I would rather someone NOT help me than to help whilst complaining to anyone and everyone who would listen.  I will also point out, while you are angrily decorating your TWO homes, some are struggling to hang on to their one.

I do not care if you buy dozens and dozens of presents for everyone you know, but I would rather NOT receive a gift than to receive an obligatory one.  "Here you go.  I knew it was expected, so ... well ... here you go"  What?

It's ok to go all out and make Christmas THE BIGGEST holiday of the year!  If that is what you truly want to do.

But... it is also ok to keep Christmas small and simple if that is where your heart is.

And it's ok for your Christmases to change from year to year. Our years do not all look the same, our Christmases don't have to either.

There are some years I do go all out.  There are other years I just do not have the desire. And both are ok.

We discuss it together.  Decide how little or how much we want to put into our Christmas effort,  and we enjoy the holiday season.  I mean ENJOY it.  I am that person annoyingly singing Christmas songs first thing in the morning.  I am that happy person wishing everyone a "Merry Christmas" and asking if you are ready!!  

This holiday isn't about the hustle and the bustle to get everything done and to get it done wonderfully, completely and perfectly.

This holiday is when we slow down (yes, slow down!) and remember our Lord and Savior coming to us.... US!.... as a tiny baby in a quiet manger on a starry night.  And that memory fills our hearts to overflowing to where the love comes bursting out to our family, our friends, our neighbors, our coworkers.

Seriously people, if you are not enjoying your holiday season, take a step back. Do some reflecting. Some soul searching. Decide what is and is not  important.  What can be changed and where?  Then make those changes and be happy.  Be full of JOY!

And have a very Merry Christmas.

Also here's a picture of a very special angel. 


No comments:

Post a Comment